The 2018 Montgomery County JV Tournament was held on Saturday, February 10 at Gaithersburg High School. Twenty-five teams were present at this year’s tournament with the Vikings fielding one of the largest squads with 21 wrestlers. Whitman had grapplers in 12 of the 14 weight classes; only 106 and 220 were not represented.
A number of Whitman wrestlers recorded wins at this event including:
· Nick Roy at 113, 2-2 with 2 falls
· Fernando Karamanoglu at 120, 1-1
· Arthur Dehareng at 120, 1-2
· Caleb Brenner at 126, 2-2 with a fall
· Stephanie Solloso at 132, 1-2 with a fall
· Logan Glazier at 145, 1-1 with a fall
· Christian Beske at 152, 2-2 with 2 falls
· Luke Cullinane at 152, 4-1 with a 3rd place finish. Luke saw the most action of any of our grapplers in the tournament, as he fought his way from the consolation bracket into the 3-4 match. This final match would prove to be a tough contest as Luke was up against a Solloso from Paint Branch. Just prior to his match the fans were informed that the nephew of Stephanie and Marcos, freshman Dimitri Solloso would be wrestling Luke.
The match turned out to the highlight of the day as it was all knotted up at 1 to 1 at the end of regulation. The score remained the same at the end of the first overtime period. During the second overtime period Luke’s opponent chose bottom and Luke rode him out the entire 30 seconds. I would then be up to Luke to score from the bottom in the third overtime period in order to secure his win. Luke did just that through an escape midway into the period to win the match and earn his 3rd place finish. An exciting win for Luke and a memorable conclusion to a great season!
· Neil Parikh at 160, 1-1
· Jack Kelly at 160, 1-2
· Jack Ryan at 170, 2-2 with a 4th place finish. During Jack’s run to his 4th place finish he turned in two pins. Well done Jack! This is quite an achievement for a first year wrestler. There is no doubt that Jack will be a force to be reckoned with next year.
· Jay Gatten at 182, 1-2 with a fall
· Ben Mickum at 285, 2-2 with a 4th place finish. Ben participated in a wild match to advance into his final 3-4 final match. This memorable match was against an opponent from Northwest High School. Ben was up by 5 points in the third period and was riding his opponent while attempting to turn him with a cross face. As Ben’s forearm pressed against his opponent’s face, the NW wrestler decided to counter Ben’s move with a “mandible hold”. Ben wisely held up his arm to the referee to show him the bite mark on his arm and the match was immediately ended with a disqualification of Ben’s opponent. Kudos to Ben for keeping his cool in this crazy and volatile match, and on his 4thplace tournament finish!
The team spirit of this JV squad was evident once again as all the wrestlers stayed through the end of the tournament to cheer their teammates on. Their close bond speaks well for the future of this team and the contributions many of these JV wrestlers are expected to make next year. Congratulations to all our JV wrestlers, coaches and parents for a great season!
By George Boinis